Skip to main content

Local News

NOTE: The feed token below allows users to view all live news feeds [up to the "Count" number] before having to view the archived version.

News Home

9/3/2013 - $30 Million Available to Rehab Storm Ravaged Homes, Properties


(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced homeowners impacted by Superstorm Sandy can now apply for federal relief funds online at the state’s CT Recovers website. In July, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved Connecticut’s action plan for disbursing $71.82 million, through HUD’s Community Development Block Grant Program, to help residents, businesses and communities recover and rebuild after Storm Sandy. The state Department of Housing (DOH) has allocated $30 million in federal funding for the Owner Occupied Rehabilitation and Rebuilding Program to support efforts to rebuild and renovate homes while also addressing needs to prepare for future storms.

“Superstorm Sandy caused serious damage to more than 38,000 residential structures across the state. Too many homeowners, especially those living along the coastline, are still reeling from the storm’s devastating impact,” said Governor Malloy. “This federal assistance will go a long way towards offsetting the costs of rebuilding and mitigating such destruction in the future so displaced residents can go home and get their lives back in order. We appreciate the continued support of President Obama, Secretary Donovan and the entire congressional delegation during our Sandy recovery efforts.”

The Owner Occupied Rehabilitation and Rebuilding Program, administered by DOH, is funded through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) program. It is open to residents in Fairfield, New London, New Haven, and Middlesex counties and the Mashantucket Pequot tribal area. Superstorm Sandy brought high winds, rain, and storm surge to coastal areas of Connecticut, resulting in widespread wind and flood damage to homes, businesses, infrastructure, and public facilities. Many dwellings were rendered uninhabitable and a large number of residents still cannot return to their homes.

Assistance ranging from $10,000 to $150,000 is available to replace and rehabilitate homes, implement mitigation measures, and to make homes more resilient to future storm damage. Eligible expenses are those not covered by insurance, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or any other sources of funding. Specific work that is eligible includes:

• Structural repair or replacement of damaged property;
• Cost effective energy measures and improvements needed to meet HUD Section 8 Existing Housing Quality Standards;
• Lead-based paint abatement, asbestos abatement, handicapped accessibility for special needs;
• Mitigation assistance to elevate homes and/or reduce the risk for future disasters; and
• Appliances — stoves and refrigerators are eligible items but will be considered on a case-by-case basis if they are not present at the time of rehabilitation.

“The Department of Housing will open intake centers in the four eligible counties in the next month to assist homeowners in the application process,” said Evonne Klein, commissioner of DOH. “However, we know the need for these funds is critical. In the meantime, people can go to the state’s recovery Web site or the housing department’s site and start the application process immediately.”

To start spreading awareness of the program and the available assistance, DOH will host an informational session September 9 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. in the auditorium at the Milford City Hall, 110 River Street. Commissioner Klein and Hermia Delaire, the program’s manager for DOH, will be on hand to answer questions regarding the application process and eligibility requirements.

To access the application, details on how to apply for this funding and additional information on resources available for residents, businesses and municipalities following natural disasters and other emergencies, please visit the state’s official CT Recovers website at

The completed application form should be saved and emailed with all supporting documentation as a .pdf attachment in one message to After submitting, applicants will be contacted by a housing recovery specialist who will work with you throughout the construction process.


Press Release