CITY OF WATERBURY
MUNICIPAL TAX RELIEF DEFERRAL PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
On April 20, 2020 the City’s Board of Aldermen elected to implement a Deferment Program as set forth in the Governor’s Executive Order 7S, §a, allowing eligible City residents, businesses and landlords an extended grace period to defer their payment of property taxes, and water & sewer user fees until 90 days from the initial due date, instead of the usual 30 days. Deferment is not automatic, you must submit an Application to the Tax Department by July 1st 2020 and be deemed eligible. Real estate escrow agents and leasing companies are ineligible for the Deferment Program. Said election shall apply to any property tax, water and/or sewer charge that becomes due and payable between April 1st and July 1st, 2020.
Applications must be received by the Tax Office by July 1st, 2020.
Household has suffered a reduction in income of at least 20% due to COVID 19.
Eligible Business / Non-Profit:
Revenue is expected to decrease at least 30% in the March to June 2020 period versus the March to June 2019 period at this property.
Property has or will suffer a significant revenue decline, OR that commensurate forbearance was offered to the tenants or lessees.
Please note that interest will accrue back to the initial due date at 1.5% per month on any unpaid balance as of the end of the 90 day grace period.
How to obtain a Deferral Program Application
- Click on the link below to access the application and instructions to complete and submit.
- Deferral Program Application & Instructions Link
- Send email request for the Deferral Program Application & Instructions to:
- Call the Tax Office at:(203) 574-6811 or (203) 574-6815 to request that an Application & Instructions be mailed to you.
- Visit the Tax Office at City Hall, 235 Grand Street – only if in person pickup is the only available option to obtain the Application & Instructions.