Thank you for browsing the online information directory. The links below will take you to a wide variety of information and services throughout our City Government, all from one convenient place.

General Information:

Revenue Collections:

Three types of property are assessed and are subject to taxes: real estate, motor vehicle, and business personal property.  Tax bills are mailed in late June (for October 1st Grand List) and late December (for Supplemental Grand List).  To avoid interest fees and penalties, taxes must be paid within a month of the due date.

Check the Online Tax Bill Inquiry System to see if you owe taxes.

Tax Auctions: Registrations begin at 5:00 p.m., auctions begin at 6:00 p.m. A $3,000 deposit in the form of cash or cashier's check is required at the time of registration for each property being bid on.

FOIA Request Portal:

The City of Waterbury now has an online portal for all public records requests through GovQA. The City encourages submission of requests through this new system for faster and more efficient processing.

Please use the link below to access the GovQA portal:

Assessor's Office:

The Assessor's Office administers the Renter's Rebate Program for individuals aged 65+, or totally disabled before turning 65.  Eligibility requirements: One year CT residency, income at or below $37,600 (individual) or $45,800 (couple).  Applicants must show proof of rent paid, such as, electric or oil bills in the form of receipts, cancelled checks or rental statements for the entire year.

Town Clerk:

Through the Town Clerk's Vital Statistics office you can obtain a birth, death or marriage certificate for $20 each.  Cash, money orders or cashier's checks are accepted; no personal checks or credit cards.

City of Waterbury requires all non-resident landlords to register their rental properties.  Registration costs $25 for one rental property, and $50 for two or more. Failure to register can result in a $1,000 fine.

Citizens Service Center:

From potholes, high weeds on vacant lots or abandoned homes, to requesting a new trash bin, the Citizens Service Center offers you an easy way of reporting City issues.  Now you can obtain desired information, report an issue or check on a previously reported issue by calling 311 or 203-597-3444, or submitting a service request online, which allows you to create and track your complaints and requests.

Building Inspections / City Planning: