BUREAU OF REFUSE
The Bureau of Refuse continues to provide curbside collection of all types of municipal solid waste and recycling materials for the citizens of Waterbury and all municipal buildings. Over the years, it has strengthened ties with neighborhood associations and city residents by educating them about recycling and how to comply with solid waste practices. Residents are encouraged to keep in-touch with Waterbury outreach efforts on recycling and environmental protection via Waterbury Recycling’s social media postings on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
WATERBURY WILL LAUNCH A NEW RECYCLING PROGRAM THIS SUMMER
Waterbury Public Works will deliver 32,000 big, new recycling carts to residents this summer!
To learn more about how this will help the environment and save the City money click on the big, green cart below:
The City’s Mark Lane Transfer Facility schedule changes by time of year. From March 1st through November 30th the Facility is open Tuesday through Saturday, 7:00 am to 2:30 pm. From December 1st through the end of February the Facility is open Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 2:30 pm. Any vehicle delivering material must be on the scale by 2:30 pm. For detailed information visit the web page for Mark Lane Transfer Facility.
2017 Refuse Collection Schedule
2017 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days
Free Electronics Recycling For City of Waterbury Residents
Mark Lane Transfer Facility
Recycling Bins: Free. Call 203-574-6857
Trash Bins: $55 charge. Call 203-756-7365
(payable by cash, or credit card over the phone;
can be purchased at the Mark Lane facility)
Residential Trash: to be placed on curbside evening before collection day (no more than 24 hours prior to collection; no later than 5:00 a.m. day of collection).
Recyclables: to be placed in orange bin and set at curb on evening before collection. All the following recyclables may be placed together, loose in the bin. Please do not place in plastic bags.
- Paper – including white, color, glossy, newsprint and softcover books.
- Paper Board – including milk cartons, cereal boxes, pasta boxes.
- Cardboard – corrugated cardboard. Pizza boxes may be recycled only if free of food and grease. You may separate a clean pizza box lid from the greasy lower portion to recycle the lid.
- Glass Bottles & Jars – please rinse. Lids are okay.
- Plastic Food & Beverage Containers – plastic bottles, jars and hard plastic containers and lids with recycling symbol and #1-7. Please rinse. Lids are okay.
- Metal Cans, Foils and Trays – including aluminum foil and aluminum trays.
Please do not recycle the following:
- Plastic Bags – please never put plastic bags in your recycling bin. If you have clean plastic bags which you wish to recycle you may recycle them at Waterbury Target, Stop & Shop and Shop Rite stores. For Details on recycling plastic bags and wrap visit http://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/.
- Plastic Foam – ex foam cups, packing peanuts, block foam.
- Food Contaminated Material – ex. greasy pizza boxes, aluminum trays with baked on food, etc.
- Non-Bottle/Jar Glass – ex. window glass, light bulbs, china.
- Electronics – Recycle televisions, computers, phones and other electronics either at Waterbury’s Mark Lane Facility or Take 2, Inc.
- Paper Cups/Paper Plates/Paper Napkins
For more information on what can be recycled in Waterbury please visit: http://www.usarecycle.com/for-home/recycling
Yard Waste: grass clippings and leaves, must be in bio-degradable paper bags only; brush must be cut and tied, no more than 4 inches in diameter, no longer than 4 feet long.
Supervisor of Refuse
500 Captain Neville Drive
Waterbury, CT 06705
Phone: (203) 574-6857
Fax: (203) 346-3548
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
185 South Main Street
Waterbury, CT 06706
Phone: (203) 574-6851 x 7637
Fax: (203) 346-3548
Please keep in touch with Waterbury Recycling via….